Today I am kicking off my Veganising Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals Series. I need to come up with a catchier name for that!
Anyway, I have been a fan of Jamie ever since the Naked Chef came out and recently I really enjoyed rewatching all the episodes of 15 Minutes Meals that are replaying on the Food Network. It does make Buffalo Stance get stuck in my head on a loop! But aside from that I like the premise of it. So I bought the book and there's lots of veggie stuff in there and even a lot of the meaty stuff is veganisable.
That said, I went for a bit of a cop out last night, because it was the only thing I had most of the ingredients for already and it was 7.30 before I was finished work.
So I made the Veggie Chilli. I didn't make the accompanying salad as I didn't have all the components and I made a few subs that I will list below. All in all, this was nice and super easy of course and was mainly composed of store cupboard staples. The recipe is for 4 portions, so I have a couple of lunches in the fridge. :)
Also, I'm going to tell you how long it actually took to make, as I'm not convinced I can do any in 15 minutes - I'm a bit of a faffer. But if it's done in 30 or less, then I'm happy!
Recipe Link: Veggie chilli with crunchy tortilla avocado salad
Actual Time Taken: about 30 minutes
- I didn't have an ancho chilli or a chipotle. Or even a fresh one (I suck I know) so I used sriracha, a healthy dose of it!
- I didn't make the salad, I put some cubed up avocado on top to serve instead and served the crunchy tortilla strips on the side.
- I substituted soya yoghurt for the fat free dairy yoghurt called for.
- I didn't have passata so I subsitituted a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes that I whizzed in the processor after the base mix was done and also added a good tbsp of tomato puree and about half of the empty tomato tin's worth of water.
- I left out the coriander because I didn't have it.
- I didn't have wild/long grain rice mix so I used a pack of ready made brown basmati.
Yummy & filling and easy. Will definitely make again as it's meant to be made.
See ya tomorrow!